Low-Cost and Free Fundraising Resources: Did You Say FREE?
You need help. Your board of directors have the best intentions, but little experience serving on a nonprofit board. Your staff could use professional development, but your budget is stretched to the max with nothing extra for a trainer or facilitator. Current technology has left your computers far, far behind.
But there’s hope and it’s free (or low cost)! Yes, there are many free and low-cost resources for nonprofit organizations. For example, if you are in dire need of new technology, such as computers or software programs, go to Tech Soup. It’s a nonprofit that provides very low-cost hardware and software to nonprofits.
There are several membership associations that focus on fundraising training and education. Listed below are three: AFP, AHP, and CASE. Use the links below to explore the focus and benefits of these organizations.
Guidestar is a website that contains information on nonprofit organizations that have filed the IRS form, 990. It is also a place where a nonprofit can enhance its profile by adding more information. By creating a robust profile on Guidestar you can achieve a Bronze, Silver, Gold or Platinum level of recognition. This is an easy, no cost way to set your organization apart.
Another good resource I use is Board Source which has a wealth of information on all things related to board service. BoardBuild is located in Fort Worth and offers training on board governance.
The Chronicle of Philanthropy is a monthly national publication that was founded in 1988. It’s the most comprehensive source of news on and for the nonprofit sector. It’s available free at your local public library.
I encourage you to use the links below to explore these various resources and find out what works best for you.
· Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) (paid membership but some free sections) (https://afpglobal.org/)
· Association of Health Philanthropy (AHP) (https://www.ahp.org/)
· Blue Avocado (https://blueavocado.org/)
· BoardBuild (https://boardbuild.org/)
· Board Source (https://boardsource.org/)
· Center for Nonprofit Management (https://thecnm.org/)
· Chronicle of Philanthropy (https://www.philanthropy.com/)
· Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) (https://www.case.org/)
· Donor Relations Guru (https://www.donorrelationsguru.com/)
· Dynamic Development Strategies (https://www.dynamicdevelopmentstrategies.com/)
· Guidestar (https://www.guidestar.org/)
· Tech Soup (https://www.techsoup.org/)
Michelle Crim, CFRE
Dynamic Development Strategies can help. We offer coaching and fundraising services for our nonprofit clients. We specialize in startup and smaller nonprofits because we understand your challenges. Please contact us for more information.