As a lifelong learner, I always enjoy discovering new fundraising and nonprofit resources. There are so many good sites, blogs, podcasts and books to help us along our professional development journey. For example, I recently identified fifty podcasts that focus on the nonprofit sector.
I try to devote at least an hour or more each week to reading articles in the Chronicle of Philanthropy or the AFP Global magazine, Advancing Philanthropy and attending webinars on timely topics. Being up-to-date on trends, current events, and other issues related to philanthropy and the nonprofit sector increases my value to my clients.
There are also important membership organizations to consider as you plan your own professional development. Here’s a cost savings tip: look for “local membership only” options with any organization you are considering joining.
· AFP Fort Worth Metro, https://community.afpnet.org/fortworthmetrochapter/home
· AFP Greater Dallas, https://www.afpdallas.org/
· Charitable Gift Planners Lone Star Chapter, https://lonestarcgp.org/
· Charitable Gift Planners Dallas Chapter, https://www.dallascharitablegiftplanners.org/
· Grant Professionals Association, https://grantprofessionals.org/
· Association of Professional Researchers for Advancement, https://www.aprahome.org/
· Association for Healthcare Philanthropy, https://www.ahp.org/
Great websites to use:
Here are some of my favorite and well-read books on fundraising.
· Fired-Up Fundraising by Gail Perry
· Building Donor Loyalty by Adrian Sargeant and Elaine Jay
· Asking by Jerold Panas
· Major Gift Fundraising for Small Shops by Amy Eisenstein
· Inside the Mind of the Bequest Donor by Dr. Russell James
· The Ask by Laura Fredricks
· Capital Campaigns, Strategies that Work, 4th Edition by Andrea Kihlstedt
· How to Write Fundraising Materials by Tom Ahern
· Planned Giving in a Nutshell by Craig Wruck
Whether you can devote a few minutes a day or a few hours a week, always include some time for YOUR professional development. Building our fundraising knowledge and practice can only help strengthen our profession and better serve our community.
Michelle Crim, CFRE
Dynamic Development Strategies can help. We offer coaching and fundraising services for our nonprofit clients. We specialize in startup and smaller nonprofits because we understand your challenges.
Please contact us for more information.